Coffee Traders' Forum - A Discussion about Coffee Futures Trading
Coffee Traders Discussion Forum
I would like to start a discussion about change of consumers behavior in recent years and what might be next to come..
1) increasing popularity of capsule coffee and what change it brings
- increased popularity due to high convenience of preparing a cup of coffee (not just home, I have seen it at hot dog/pizza stands too)
- faster turnover of the coffee itself (it seems that it has shorter best-before period - people may tend to consume it faster than instant coffee)
- possible of mixing cheaper and low quality coffees (despite claim of 100% arabica)
- stock pile up in shops when even electric appliance shops have piles of coffee capsules for sale
2) proliferation of coffee vending machines
- Japan is absolute extreme but it is getting more and more common to have vending machines at company lobbies, public offices and even schools
- coffee from such a machine seem to be often a simple treat to colleagues or friends, or just to kill waiting time
- do they drink coffee or not? Does coca cola count?
- more office jobs lead to increase coffee (coffein drink consumption) more brain use
- more late night entertainment till later age (morning 1st aid coffee ?)
- hipster culture and coffee culture relation
4) wealth distribution in the world
- so far the wealthy part of the world dominated consumption and import of coffee (EU, US/Canada, Japan, Russia)
- will (is) the rest of the world catch up - mainly Africa, Asia, India?
5) issues with sugar
- will increasing health concerns over sugar consumption help or hurt coffee
6) chocolate relation
- some see coffee and chocolate as complement items (Japan) will this spread into China where chocolate increase in popularity and will it drag coffee with it
7) ice coffee phenomenon
- this is very popular in Japan, but not so much in Europe, may this change in near future?
Opinions, ideas and additions welcome